Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Listening to Your Dreams

It's no secret that our subconscious desires are often revealed by dreams, although they may appear in some unrecognizable form which may be difficult to interpret. For quite a while (at least several months), I haven't remembered very many dreams. Until recently, that is.

Over the past few days, I have had three very vivid "art dreams" (meaning these dreams were about working on musical and visual art projects). I do not recall the nature of the projects themselves because the dreams focused on the process and preparation necessary to complete recording or painting projects.

Unlike the vague dreams referred to earlier, the message in my recent dreams is clear: I need to make some music, paintings, or both. This desire has occupied much of my time awake but I've been feeling creatively stuck during most of this current depressive period, so I haven't completed any projects in a long time.

In the past, being involved with art or music has helped me cope with depression, so I know how important it is that I get my brain unstuck, but somehow that pressure may make it more difficult to get ideas flowing again. The key may be figuring out a way to reconnect with my somewhat impaired sense of play. My recent dreams have reminded me that I've been avoiding the work necessary to create again, as well as using my overly critical nature as an excuse to be uninvolved with art. Brushing my creative wishes under the carpet certainly isn't resolving anything.

I would encourage others to pay attention if your dreams seem to reveal your own strong desires, especially if you are not feeling very healthy emotionally. Upon careful reflection, you may be able to create a plan to change your circumstances for the better. Hopefully, I can as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment